Stress and breakouts are directly linked together. Acne is mostly caused due to stress. Brain involuntarily releases stress hormones as soon as it recognizes stress. Cells that produce sebum have a special receptor for stress hormones. It is a oily substance which mixes with bacteria and dead cells to clog hair follicles which leads to pimple or acne cysts. The person who has having more number of acne means more oil is clogged into the hair follicles of the person that allow more acne to form.
So this predicts that increase in acne is due to higher levels of sebum production during stressful times. As a result body directly responds to stress by directing blood flow and oxygen to areas is fighting the stress and withdraws the blood from skin as a result skin becomes starved of blood and oxygen leading it to dehydrate, and prone to clogged pores and breakouts.
WARNING SIGNS OF BREAKOUTS-
Before breakouts skin gives signs they are as follows-Tiny blackheads and whiteheads arise in the skin.
- Skin becomes oilier than usual. As the stress causes the skin’s sebaceous glands to secrete more oil.
- Skin becomes more sensitive than normal. As neuropeptides get released in the skin which causes this sensitivity.
- Skin looks pale as little blood flows in skin.
Solutions to prevent breakouts-
It is possible to keep your skin clear even in stressful times through-
- Sufficient sleep enhances resistance to stress and nurture the skin even through stressful day.
- Proper diet reduces skin dullness and provides oxygen and blood to skin. This diet include intake of spinach, intake of vitamin A and C and E and zinc.
- It is necessary to keep the skin hydrated and moisturized. Drying out skin does not clear breakouts rather it balances moisture level of skin and keeps it healthy. Drying out stimulates the oil glands to produce more oil as to compensate the loss.